Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sand Crabs and Pink Seashells


For those of you who might have wondered where the hell I've been, I'm back. We had a vacation trip to our villa in Costa Rica for approximately 10 days and from there we flew to Denver, Colorado to visit our eldest daughter. I confess I am not that great a traveler and once I arrive at the destination I'm greatly relieved.

Flying used to be this glamorous privilege, but now it is reduced to being squeezed in with strangers and frisked by burly security people. I'm not complaining because if it makes us all feel a little safer I'm all for that but I wonder if it just gives us all a false sense of security. What does taking off one's shoes really accomplish? I also feel somewhat reduced to idiocy by not behaving in any way that might draw the attention of the vigilant authorities profiling me as I negotiate the gauntlet of security. Don't say the wrong thing, don't say much at all, smile and be calm so you don't get pulled out of the line as a suspected "terrorist".

It was all worth it to finally arrive at Tambor Beach, Puntarenas,Southern Nicoya Penninsula spending nearly every day sitting under the palm trees lathered up with spf 35. I used to worship the sun until a routine visit to the dermatologist turned into a lecture about sun damage to the skin ( a little too late in life for me). Now I attempt to be cautious and no longer strive for the golden tan.

Taking a walk on the beach early every morning before the sun grew too strong was my favorite routine. I chased sand crabs trying to evade my steps as they did their sideways crawling dance looking like drunken crustaceans. Imagine hundreds of these tiny creatures darting about. It was fun trying to play tag and most of the time they won however, this one less that alert little guy got trapped between me and the ocean and began to scatter in panic trying to make it back to all his little buddies. I could hear his thoughts that the giant almost caught him and fear he might be captured. I felt sorry for him and graciously ceded his right of way. After all it was his beach, and I was but a visitor to his world of sand and ocean.

There were moments when I became very aware of being in the moment; smelling the ocean, listening to the breaking waves and feeling the sun's rays already starting to feel warm on my exposed flesh, gazing down at the sand looking for tiny delicate pink seashells. At times I would look out at the sea and catch a glimpse of flying sting rays jumping out of the water. Although I enjoyed the opportunity to witness nature I have had trepidation of encountering one of the rays by accidentally stepping on one while wading into the tide for a swim. I was told they were not aggressive and will make an effort to avoid confrontation, however I couldn't lose the thoughts of getting barbed. I will continue to enjoy the ocean and eventually maybe I will conquer that fear.

Costa Ricans are very friendly, gracious and gentle people. You very rarely hear them speak vociferously and they tend to be calm and kind. They are very amicable and greet each other warmly. Once you get to know a Tico you can expect to be hugged when they see you. The workers are somewhat class conscious in our little gated community and are startled by the friendliness of the American amigos from Norte Nuevo York.We are always interested in improving our Spanish so we are always seeking encounters and opportunities to have friendly conversation. There are many Ticos fluent in English and others like to chat with us and improve their English.

The affectionate term for residents of Costa Rica is" Tico". I've been told that the term is derived by their tendency to add "te" to the ends of their words as a colloquialism. Actually our acquaintances have added "te" to the end of my name and call me Celeste'. I'm honored by that. I enjoyed my time hanging with the Ticos.

4 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

Sounds lovely and idyllic. I love your description of the sand crabs. Glad you had a good time and good to see you back.

RJ said...

I DID wonder where you were!
Ahhhh, LOVELY! Lucky YOU!
So glad you got to go.

Michael Horvath said...

Glad to hear you got away for some good "me" time. Also happy to have you back on the blogs!

gaf85 said...

Madame,It's amazing when you can focus your energy in the here and now and experience nature.

Neen, The difficult part of going away is the getting back to the reality of everyday life.

Miles,Sometimes I surprise myself how I can empty my mind and just experience what is going on without having to analyze everything or having to maintain the intensity of focus and concentration. "Unplugging" for awhile is a healthy thing. I did kind of miss my blogger friends though!