Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Existential Angst

It amazes me how as human beings we can all see the world so differently. I've wondered alot about this lately especially how it relates to me and what kind of person I really am.
Our experiences influence our perceptions and that often becomes our reality and also has an effect on our mood. Thoughts can be ever so powerful. How often have you put yourself in a bad mood by just thinking negative thoughts maybe even about something that has never yet happened? I have become increasingly aware of how my thoughts effect my mood and attempt to make a conscious effort to reality check and monitor where I'm going with my thinking. What if nothing bad has happened at the moment yet your reality is a collection of negative thoughts? There's nothing to be upset about or mad at yet you have allowed your thoughts to manufacture negativity. Unfortunately as human beings some of us have had too much practice at doing this and have become proficient. Wouldn't this also mean we could practice hopefulness and positive thinking and become accomplished at that? It's difficult to undo established patterns in our thinking however as we learn and practice mindfulness and being in the moment we can challenge those tendencies toward negative thinking.

I would like to be a more positive person and be less critical of others.
I would like to assume people are doing the best that they can.
I struggle with believing some people have bad intentions and sometimes they may be directed at me and I sometimes react negatively to that.
I would like to practice more forgiveness yet I have often held my self back and I am resistant with some of my mistaken beliefs.
I believe we all deserve to be happy but sometimes people have a different definition of happiness.
I believe we create our own positive and or negative energy.
I believe that our existence is often reflected in the tasks and challenges we choose to take on.
I believe some of the things that happen to us involve lessons we are supposed to be learning about life.
I believe that death is present because we are supposed to learn about life.

3 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

Interesting post. I have certainly worked myself into a bad mood, just by second guessing stuff that hasn't happened. I also find that some music can cheer me up regardless of miserable or angry I feel. I don't seem able to do the 'positive' thinking stuff at all, seeming more able to slide into unhappiness more easily than happiness.

gaf85 said...

Madame, I bet with a bit of practice you could become the positive thinker, never hurts to try though.

Anonymous said...

gaf85 this is a fact of human nature, we are pulled towards where we infact lead our thoughts and all thoughts if left unchecked run away with us like a untamed horse,and just like a horse which is not kept in control by its reins can seriously injure us. In forms of even the beautiful things such as hopes and dreams daydreams our mind will run away with us.. This robs us of the beauty in each moment as in mind our desires and expectation - rob us of true bliss and joy. the meaning of desire is to become happy, the purpose of expectation is to ling for joy, or whatever else.

this means we are negating the present moment and seeking our happiness in the next moment and when it comes we seek it in the next and cant realize it for what is - bliss

every moment is full of bliss yet we have to tune our minds to pick up these vibrations, if you practice mindfullness for a long time, you'll see how quickly you can lift yourself from a sad, and negative state into a state of pure bliss within seconds.

but because of desires and expectations we rob ourselves of joy we block the bliss by constructing within our minds a reality systems based on false premise that desires will lead us to joy, and in this way we keep eluding ourselves by pulling a veil over our senses.

there are simple yet effective techniques that will impower all of us.

whenever you are sad or even happy no matter what you are feeling ask yourself - who is sad? who is happy? who is angry? deeper and deeper you will go whatever answer arises continue asking, who is ...?

closer and closer we come to meeting the true self.

love and light