Friday, November 7, 2008

I blog therefore I AM

Don't we sometimes have a need to validate our own existence? Maybe at times we also need others to validate our existence (by reading my Blog). Is anything I have to say any more important than the next person? There are people out there who have their own original thoughts but do not necessarily need to publicly express them. So why is it then that some of us choose to communicate via Blog? There can be a certain level of anonymity if we so choose, and others want everyone to know who they are and maybe want others to think they are cool or talented. I've been trying to figure some of this out lately and mostly figure out why I do it. We all have our own unique story to tell and at times the things we choose to write about (or blog about) can be somewhat revealing. For me, it may be allowing my hidden self and what I really think to emerge, not having to act perfect or be perfect or fit anyone's definition of who they may think I am. Perhaps it is a way for some of us to let our alter ego take over (but not like Anthony Perkins in psycho). Sorry, it is hard for me to not resort to humor. I guess it is a defense or cloak of protection. To be less self conscious and real which is somewhat ironic since this is the virtual reality of the Blogosphere.

The community of bloggers has been an interesting foray into all the different types of people out there. We have our philosophers, our self disclosing theraputic journalers who are trying to heal themselves, the technos who are all into the nitty gritty of the computer box, people who have an urge to blog about their life and share their thoughts and feelings. Let us not forget to also mention the school yard bully who hangs out at the local Coffee Shop. No matter where you go there is always one of those. I guess it gives people an opportunity to hurl back a few insults of indignation.

Not everyone is or wants to be a professional "writer" although some of us fancy ourselves as quite clever, but we all seem to share a commonality of wanting our posts to be read and commented on. This is not meant as criticism or cynicism .Perhaps there are even some who feel compelled they have to post and their content may be a little on the thin side but at least they are trying to communicate something so who am I to judge, which is sort of the point here, that we need to be accepting of other people's points of view even though we might not always agree. This is one of the things I like about blogging is I can say whatever I want and if someone doesn't agree they don't have to read my post or comment on it, just go on to the next one, or just go away.

The best way to be true to yourself is to write for yourself, not to really care if you are read or how many people visit and keep count of how many followers your Blog has. Even if no one visits you can still be a party of one. Place less emphasis on the need to be validated by others and focus on what message you are trying to communicate or what you may be trying to resolve
even if it is just for yourself as a way of processing how you are feeling or what you believe.

But alas, I remain Confessions of a Hope Fiend. I Blog therefore I am.

4 comments:

Tatum Reid said...

Fantasticaly insightfull blog.
I can really relate.
I feel blogging is a way to express what I feel, and clear/share my toughts.
I've found that I often talk to much in conversation, and that's why I started the blog.
I needed to find an alternative let-out, so that when I am in conversation the other person gets a chance as well.
It's not that Im vain or think Im important, it's just my mouth says just about everything my mind thinks. It ends up being a train of thoughts -and others struggle to get a word in...so blogging might be my cure :)
Love reading your blogs.
Ps. To The bullies out there;I agree with gaf85 - if you don't have something insightfull or constructive to write as a comment on someones blog..just keep it to yourself -and move on to another blog.

gaf85 said...

TR, thanks so much for your feedback.I agree sometimes we just have to express ourselves and let it out. My friends and family are a little taken aback by my blogging since I am usually quiet and reserved. I guess we all might have a different side that comes out.

underOvr (aka The U) said...

gaf85,

I started writing in Agust after reading a guy's blog about Man's Sense of Style. I thought it was insightful, and said, "perhaps one day I would try blogging". In October, I joined the blogging community here.

I've found writing to be a departure from the man I thought of myself as. I am enjoying this journey, and I have discovered that I am expressing thoughts which have been resident; but untapped.

It's much too soon to refer to myself as a "writer", but I would like to publish something which others enjoyed reading. I'm no longer ignoring the thoughts and words now, I'm capturing them.

For now, I remain a Borg drone, but I now know that Locutis is out there; separate and independent from the Collective, my escape is inevitable.

Thank you so very much for such a insightful and thought-provoking post.

U

gaf85 said...

UR,I like that you are also a Star TREK nerd.Maybe you might have read my post awile back about that. (It is in my archives spmewhere)
I think we are all "writers". It is good though for us to have a forum to express ourselves.