Not all of us celebrate Christmas or share the same cultural background. I grew up in a family that celebrated Christmas and other major holidays including Easter.
Now that we are in the holiday season I began to experience some of my childhood memories of Christmas. I do not remember many of the gifts I received but I do recall receiving a JC Higgens bicycle. I remember this mostly because I have a picture of that in one of the family photo albums.
My family seemed to take great effort at extending my belief in Santa Claus to a rather late age of maybe nine or so. It took alot of convincing even then because I did not want to believe that there was "no Santa Claus". My parents had rather elaborate explanations about Santa and his reindeer landing on the roof but since we did not have a fire place I couldn't figure out how he came down the non existent chimney. There was the usual cookies and milk left for Santa and there were always bites missing in the morning. That was proof enough for me that Santa was real. I don't recall the exact incident that led me to disbelief but I do remember that from that point on it altered my belief in "making believe", in the pretend world. I was lucky to have been born with a very healthy imagination but that discovery was disappointing.
The Easter Bunny shared a similar fate of logic. Now that I look back on it, it is a rather fantastic stretch of imagination but when you really want to believe you believe. My mother used to make bunny tracks through the house made with chalk and would take a bite of the carrot left for EB and toss it down the front steps of our house. As I said, there were efforts made to maintain by beliefs which my parents lovingly provided...
My adult children have informed me that they began to figure out there was no Santa when they noticed that their gifts were wrapped in the same paper as the other ones under the tree. Oops, should have thought of that. Now when they come home for Christmas they help hang their favorite ornaments from childhood on the tree. It is hard not to feel nostalgic about my own childhood and family traditions as well as those shared with my children.
Autumn Time In Quincy
6 years ago
3 comments:
I think most of us miss that time when Santa was a real person, I do. But now I keep him real in my heart instead.
lol, memories memories. I remembered the first christmas I suspected that santa wasn't real. I lay awake, till I could hear my parents shuffle into the sittingroom, where the xmas tree was.
The I sneaked out of bed, and peaked around a corner to see them place presents under the tree.
All this was confirmed the next moring when they presented me with "Santa's" presents -which I recognized as the same ones they had stashed under the tree.
Must say it was fun believing -but I also remember feeling hurt that my parents had lied to me, I felt they had broken my trust..and it took me a while to get over it...
Know a days I'm a bit unsure about how I will aproach this situation when I have kids...Whether I play along to the santa fantasy or not -I will first and foremost make sure they understand the spirit of giving which is the treu meaning of Christmas!
TR,So very true about teaching children the true spirit of Christmas instead of expecting everything they ask for. Being with family and friends and sharing is the best gift any of us will receive.
Post a Comment