Thursday, December 4, 2008

Exits off the highway......

For those people who do a significant amount of long distance driving you may have observed the scenery when it becomes necessary to get off the highway to get some gas. I recently realized that these highway exits are there for travelers who need to stop for gas or a snack and most importantly visit the restroom. Do they exist for that purpose or do they just happen to be there? I think it may be a combination of both.

While recently on a 6 1/2 hour road trip it became necessary to pull off the highway for refreshments and a bathroom break. It is also a good idea to get out of the car and walk around and stretch your legs a bit. I began to notice that certain types of businesses are invariably prominent. I also had a humorous thought that it makes a difference whether you choose to turn right or left at the end of the exit ramp. Sometimes you end up going in the wrong direction and the sought after amenities are not present. If you had gone the other way you would likely encounter the expected gas station which now also serves as a food source with a Domino's or Dunkin Donuts or other fast food chain.

There are probably regional differences depending on what interstate you happen to be traveling on. In the north east they sometimes can resemble a little village or microcosm of local commerce. They are sometimes an oasis for the traveler or trucker. When you walk inside some of these establishments you can immediately detect if it is a local stop. Often times you may over hear people chatting about this or that and they seem to know each other. They may look at you and know right away you are just passing through but I find that if you offer a friendly greeting they will talk your ear off depending on whether you fit in to the "setting". A guy in a business suit may draw attention rather than a good old boy coming in to buy his lottery tickets and a six pack of beer.

Let's not overlook mentioning the rest stops on the highway which I find somewhat interesting. Different states probably do it a bit different. In New York State and Vermont they seem to take a lot of pride in their rest stops and actually give them names. I have noticed that some of them have official greeters who will advise you about local places of interest with all kinds of brochures and maps.(What type of job description would that entail?) I myself am usually there just to visit the lavatory and then get back into the car although being an avowed people watcher I have seen some rather strange behaviors at some of these rest stops. I know that sometimes people may pull over to catch a few Z's but that may be ill advised at night especially if traveling alone.

I imagine there may actually be people who can drive straight through to their destination other than stopping for gas and know which exits are best for that depending on their famililiarity with a certain route. We tend to travel certain routes and I know where all the bathrooms are and where there are some nice places to stop and eat your lunch out of your cooler if you happen to be that organized when planning your trip. We always have M&M's and other comfort food or snacks. To be honest, I try not to drink too much liquid because that means more bathroom stops and at some point you need to get where you are going so bring plenty of tunes to listen to and enjoy the ride and the scenery out the window.



!

2 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

After a year of dealing with sciatica I had to give up the long drives. Even though the sciatica is pretty much gone I will always have back issues probably due to my height and athletic history. Part of Girlfriend's long road trips always include a box of 'Dunkin' Munchkins" so that is one stop that we do take when we drive long ways together.

gaf85 said...

Miles,I agree it is difficult to take long car rides with a bad back. I have a bad knee and every two hours or so I have to get out of the car and walk around.
Speaking of comfort food for the ride we now try to pick snacks that don't leave alot of crumbs because as expected it ends up in your lap or all over the inside of the car.