Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ceremonies

I've always felt curious about observing and participating in ceremonial activities. Growing up in the Catholic Church peaked my early interest in the mysteries and symbolism of worship. Alas, I am a lapsed Catholic, too many involved and complicated reasons to divulge here, but my imagination would often conjure up apparitions of the Holy Ghost.

There are innumerable examples of how human beings participate in ceremonies ranging from the simple gathering of celebrating birthdays to elaborate weddings, funerals, rites of religion, civic and governmental awards, girl scouts & boy scouts , coronations, inaugurations, graduations,recitals, parades, etc., etc. One does not need to have a degree in anthropology or sociology to have some knowledge or experience of this often public and shared activity. Some of these observances have turned into holidays acknowledged by large groups of people whether it involves celebrating, honoring or mourning. History may go back to the beginning of "time".I don't have a clear idea of when I became aware of ceremonies but there were definitely ones I enjoyed and have fond memories of and of course there are always the sad experiences of loss or serious undertones of piety and respect.

One of my fondest memories as a child was our town's local Fourth of July Parade. I would often march in the parade dressed in costume with my friends, but I also loved to be in the crowd listening and watching the marching bands file by, the decorated floats and people dressed up in cowboy clothes riding horses as they left deposits of poop along the road. There were always crazy clowns riding about on little scooters, and throwing candy.This was a celebration of Independence Day and neighbors would invite families to backyard cookouts.

There might possibly be a loose definition of "ceremony" as a gathering of people with a similar purpose to celebrate, observe some milestone, activity or ritual. Perhaps people have their own little private ceremonies not just for praying or meditating but something meaningful or experiencing a sense of joy and celebration. Maybe we don't need witnesses to celebrate something of importance to us but sharing of joy is often infectious. The next time you are in the presence of other people who might be celebrating, mourning, or honoring take a moment and ask yourself what is this really about.I tend to believe ceremony is a way for human beings to share and bond over something that matters.

3 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

I like this thought. Looking at where you are and asking questions within yourself, searching for meaning. Don't let life pass you by!

RJ said...

I love this! I've recently been very interested in the fact that songs are used by most every culture to celebrate, worship, pray, heal, comfort and express such a wide range of pure human emotion.
I've started to sing alot...poor cows...*LOL*

gaf85 said...

Miles, There are so many variations on how to look at life which I find amazing. What one person sees is different than what someone else sees. I consider myself an observant person and enjoy noticing the events occurring around me.

Neen, Kind of like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music.