Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sneaky Snake


I really would like to say that I respect all of nature but there are unfortunate exceptions that I do not revere or venerate. Snakes deserve to have a life, just not in my life. Every year a snake or family of them (they all look the same to me) take up residence in our stone walkway at the front of the house which means you have to walk the gauntlet worrying if one will slither onto your path.

The other evening I was absent mindedly sauntering up the front walkway when I was confronted by a 2 foot garden snake, black with a yellow stripe.I back pedaled my steps in a startled manner then gazed at the reptile from what I thought might be a safe distance.I swear he turned his head and looked at me. I yelled at him "bad snake" and just like a little girl picked up a rock and threw it at him. Not to hurt him but to scare him away. It didn't hit him just landed next to him and he remained unfazed as if to say it was his garden and I better get used to it cause he wasn't going anywhere! So I turned around and walked around the house to the back door.

Now in the morning when I leave for work I pause for a moment on the front walkway scanning for the snake. I think he must sleep late because the sun isn't really that strong yet so he hides in his little hole until it warms up. We have a pretty flower garden bordering the front walk and now I am highly suspicious he is lurking in there but is probably just taking care of his snake business. What if there are baby snakes which would mean multiple opportunities for encounters.? I would like to reach an agreement with this snake and he can do his snake business when I'm not around during the day but what happens if I want to dig in the dirt with my flowers on the weekend. I think I may stomp my feet and yell loud noises and maybe this might scare him away although I think he knows I'm more afraid of him then he is of me.

I don't intend on harming the snake but I may consider blocking up the crack with dirt where he lives but more than likely he has more than one exit. I guess I may have to learn to share the garden with the snake but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

4 comments:

RJ said...

I UNDERSTAND! With all my heart!
Black with yellow stripes sounds like a variety of Kingsnake. Those are the "good" snakes, they even eat Rattlers. Unfortunately, they STILL make me scream and my heart pound with fear. All my flower beds are empty...such is my terror of snakes. I wish I could encounter the "good" ones calmly. Snake fear takes over my life in the hot months though :O(
BEAUTIFUL home BTW...
xox

Wendy said...

You might try calling game and fish and seeing if they have a relocation service or any advice for you if they are a persistent "family" that lives there. Maybe they can get hauled off or something. Although, like Neen says... if it's a king snake you really DO want them living there even though they are creepy. :)

RJ said...

I just took some pictures of the black with yellow stripes Kingsnake that's been hanging out in my backyard. zoomed right past my feet...*EEK* Not big in girth but has to be almost 3 ft. long. I'm really TRYING to not hate it *L* (Not successful in that endevor)

gaf85 said...

Neen, Mr. gaf caught the aforementioned snake while digging dirt in the garden. We discussed his fate and decided to let nature take its course so he will remain a part of our little garden's eco system, at least for now.

Wendy,I'd rather live with a real live snake then the kinds that inhabit our society. Thanks for your comments and visit.