I'm not sure when I actually became aware of this belief but I know it is something that I believe and practice. I think there is a difference between being assertive and aggressive. There is nothing wrong about standing up for yourself and what you believe in which is different than looking for confrontation. I view myself as a laid back person and I don't necessarily go looking for trouble. In fact, I would say I try to avoid conflict if I can, but I consider myself outspoken when it is judged by me to be needed in certain situations.
So does that mean I have an edge? Maybe at times people might think so. I will express an honest opinion if asked. If you don't want to know then don't ask. I do not view people as weak or strong but I believe there are some people who may be more passive then others. If it's something I really don't care about I'll leave it alone.
It's all about how you carry yourself and being confident in yourself. I do not consider myself intimidating or dominating in the way I express my opinion. If someone gives me a hard time I'll consider the situation and the context, but if I feel someone has wronged me I'm likely to say something. It's all about picking your battles and we all have our own pet peeves and I do know what mine are.
I dislike rude people and if I feel someone has been rude to me I may make a comment. I try not to act rude to others and remain cognizant of how my behavior effects others but sometimes I do not think others practice this. I act polite and reasonable with people until otherwise proven wrong, and will generally give people the benefit of a doubt even though there may be times when I shouldn't.
The world is a very complicated place and how we communicate and act around other people is a very important part of life. I just have a difficult time understanding how other people lack this awareness or I try to apply my beliefs and sometimes feel misunderstood.
When you are wronged by another person you have a choice to let it go or say something. I guess it depends how important it is at the time.
Autumn Time In Quincy
6 years ago
2 comments:
Your post is very true. I usually have a thought process something like this - "That was nice of them. I'm gonna... Nah, consider the source, they are not worth it".
Interesting post as usual. My problem is that what I perceive as assertive can come across as aggressive. Not very helpful in the circumstances, but not something I seem able to change easily.
Post a Comment