Saturday, October 31, 2009

Big Pocketbooks


You may have noticed the latest style in handbags and purses is the mega super size. I encountered a young lady the other day whose pocketbook dwarfed her. She must have weighed about 100 lbs. and her purse looked like the size of a duffel bag. I asked her what she was carrying in such a large bag. She laughed and said "when I'm out for the whole day I have to be prepared". She described some of the contents including a bottle of water, her book, an umbrella, some candy and snacks, and the usual items like a wallet and cell phone.
I confess that I bring a tote bag to work everyday with items I think are important to me but for someone else it might appear odd. I usually have my lunch in a small plastic bag, an extra pair of shoes in case my feet hurt, my daily appointment book, an extra package of socks and I forget why except maybe one time my feet became wet in a puddle or the snow last year. I tend to carry a calculator where ever I go but my cell phone has that function so it is not really needed. I carry extra tissues in my tote bag and a bag of hard candy. I never go to work without my umbrella in my tote bag in case it might rain.
I carry a medium sized pocketbook for every day but if I am going on a day trip I usually bring a small back pack which has nothing to do with hiking. I have to be prepared for any eventuality. I'll often include my digital camera just in case I might see something interesting.

I imagine there are things in my hand bag that are unnecessary but you never know what you might need. I always carry Tylenol and everyone in my office knows they can come to me if they are having a headache. I always have tissues, safety pins and breath mints and I offer those freely, especially after lunch. I carry a nail file and small manicure scissors in case I catch a nail. I always have band aids in my purse. For some reason I carry dental floss, but I confess I have never used it but my dentist would be proud of me anyway. I started carrying a measuring tape in case I have to measure the size of something in a store. I have a small travel size "sewing kit" with thread and needle .I carry a small notebook which doubles as an address book, and several pens and pencils in case I have to write something important down or if someone has to borrow a piece of paper and a pen. Of course there are several beauty aids necessary for grooming including a small comb and brush, a small compact mirror and at least one tube of lipstick and also chap stick. Now I carry a packet of hand sanitizer and I'm not even really germ phobic. I carry a separate change purse besides my wallet and they both seem to dwell at the bottom of my hand bag and I'm always fishing around looking for them. If my bag is roomy I may also include the current book I am reading.
I think I may just obtain a small mule or donkey so I can arrange a saddlebag accross it's back for all my belongings and it can just follow me around. I guess the young lady I spoke about may have thought of that too.

1 comment:

Madame DeFarge said...

Clearly you need a man to carry such stuff around for you. Pay him a retainer. It would work wonders for the economy.