Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Birds and the Bees .....Really

We have a Humming Bird feeder mounted on our front porch. During the summer watching those little flying critters has been an endless source of humorous entertainment. We noticed how territorial they are guarding the feeder and if another Humming Bird tries to fly up to the perch of the feeder it is immediately attacked and chased away. This goes on all day long and sometimes the front porch resembles a dare devil flying show. How easily they are able to maneuver. Sometimes they get so carried away they nearly miss the human being standing there watching. The little buzzing noise they make is unmistakable. We have actually seen a Humming Bird chase away a bumble bee. Sometimes they also make this little chirping noise. If you happen to be wearing red or something that may resemble a flower watch out because they might momentarily mistake you for a flower and buzz right up close to you. It's happened. I have a very colorful bathing suit with flowers and while vacationing in Costa Rica I had a rather confused Humming Bird mistake me for a flower! I wonder what they would do if I put some fake flowers out there. I have tried to take some pictures of them but they are rather skittish and fly away so fast it can be really frustrating. It won't be long now before they leave to start their migration. I'll miss watching their crazy antics. I guess we'll have to wait again till next year.
While sitting out on our back deck relaxing in the sun and reading a book I am constantly harassed by these little tiny bees buzzing around. I do not like them and if they get too pesty I will jump up and start to run around and wave my arms. I must look like a crazy person as I yell "leave me alone!" I guess I'm not really that big a fan of bugs anyway.

1 comment:

JeaneBee said...

How funny! Last summer we camped in Estes Park, Co. and I had my first encounter with hummingbirds. We may have them in Nebraska, but I have never seen one.

We put a bright, flowered tablecloth on the picnic table and suddenly, we had hummingbirds all over. Actually it was scary,

My granddaughter was wearing a red blouse and one of the hummingbirds kept buzzing around her and I was afraid that it may peck her face.

Since there weren't any flowers blooming in the camping area, we figured that the hummingbirds thought they had found hummingbird heaven!

We put the tablecloth away, Jenny put on a white blouse and poof, they were gone.

JeaneBee