Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Bit Worried

Anyone with any degree of consciousness is surely aware of some of what has been happening in the world these days. Whether you watch the news on TV, read the newspaper, or go online it is sometimes difficult to escape the effects of how we may have been influenced and our perceptions regarding the current situation. Rather than mention anything specifically it pertains to the level of occurrences that are thought provoking and sometimes a bit scary.

War sucks. There are good guys and bad guys depending on your values, cultural heritage, politics, religion, or where you live.It doesn't matter which side you are on people are dieing for causes that are sometimes hard for me to understand. Being so far removed from it doesn't mean that it can't have an effect on some one's mood (mine), or level of hopefulness for the future.

My sense of hopefulness about the future has been effected lately by the extent of world events both in our country and locales very far away. There is so much information and concern expressed about our environment and will there be a planet left for future generations. Even if you are not someone who tends to catastrophisize there is alot to worry about these days. It is hard to maintain any level of blissful ignorance.

So you go about your life and day to day activities compartmentalizing that those things are on someone else's front door step, until denial finally catches up with you. We all probably know at least one person, or family, who have been adversely effected by the downward spiral of the economy. Middle class people are losing their homes because they can't pay their bills, and have serious credit card debt. Then there's that f'n guy who stole every one's investments because people believed their money was safe with him. Talk about betrayal.There has been alot of that happening lately.

Where is this conversation going? People probably might have a hard time acknowledging that things are a bit scary right now. Pick a topic in the news. Maybe it's time to take a break from the news for awhile. I have actually done that before and it has nothing to do with avoiding reality. I know reality is out there .Perhaps redirecting some of my personal energy towards things I do actually have control of in my little corner of the world and be with the people I am most close to. That is part of the problem because I worry more now about the people I care about and am close to and how all of this is also effecting them and are they even aware of it. Will the economy continue to fall apart and will we all be thrown into another "depression"? What's going to happen to all these people losing their jobs, their lost savings and investments, and lack of health insurance? It staggers my mind right now about where all of this is going to end up and believe it or not I'm one of those people who sees the glass as half full. I guess I will need to take my own best advice and for now stay focused on things I can do to try and make the world a better place one deed and one person at a time, let my spirituality guide me thru this difficult time.

1 comment:

Michael Horvath said...

I understand where you are coming from... I try to make my own little world a better place daily hoping that it spreads. That is about all I can control.