Friday, January 23, 2009

"whose woods these are....."


There are times when we forget to enjoy the simple things in life and practice being present in our world. Driving to work everyday, I gaze with awe and gratitude at the fields and farmlands along my travels. There are old barns which I keep meaning to stop and take pictures with my camera but I never seem to find the opportunity since my mission is to arrive at work on time. This doesn't stop me though from the appreciation of the visual impressions outside my car door window being careful not to run my car off the road and into the ditch. In winter the fields are covered with snow yet there are round bales of dark hued hay and bent back tree limbs offering stark contrast to the winter whiteness. On sunny days the brightness and glare alter the landscape and the view is then different from the day before and the freshly fallen snow.

We have horses as our neighbors and they are often out in the field close enough to see from the road as I drive by each day.They stand so still in the quietness and the near frigid air. Their breath leaving small traces you can see in the air. I did try to take photos of them recently and they seemed to sense my intrusion so a few of them actually turned their backs on me . I let out a hilarious laugh and then they looked at me as if in disbelief . "Why is this women interrupting our vigil in the snow?" I said I was sorry and moved on. It reminded me of the poem by Robert Frost about "stopping by woods on a snowy evening; whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village though".

1 comment:

RJ said...

So Right! I love your comment about being present in the world. There are many times that I see something beautiful and my first instinct is to grab my camera. Instead I'm learning to...be in and experience the moment.