We just returned after visiting a family member in Florida for a few days. The "culture" there is quite different than what I'm used to. Obviously the sunny weather and warm temperatures can be quite alluring for those who reside in more frigid climates. I observed the landscape dominated by strip malls and gated communities except as you get nearer to the beach. The beach locale seems to be where the action is and we had a fun night visiting this bar on Delray Beach called Boston's. Monday night was Reggae night and that we did. The place was packed with young people but we managed to blend in with a few others "over the hill" and beginning to go grey. Such a stark contrast from the gated community of over 55 where the mature agers make their residence.
The population appears to be dominated by retired people which I was quite observing of because I may be close to that myself in the next decade. I had some very mixed feelings about some of the things I saw. We went to visit a family member at a nursing home that was well maintained and clean but not a place any of us really want to ever end up. They had entertainment on Sunday with a Barber Shop Quartet singing some tunes which the old people seemed to enjoy. I felt a bit sad watching the residents in their wheel chairs and walkers wondering what their lives and careers must have been like in their younger years.I began thinking this could be me in the future.
One of the days during our visit I managed to break away for a few hours at the pool in the complex. I saw some things that made me want to laugh and then cry. These gated communities are notorious for their rules and the pool has a list posted so that you don't jump in for a swim until you shower off first. I could see their eyes following me to make sure I washed off my filth so as not to contaminate their water. Diving was not permitted nor was food allowed. It even told you how far you could drag your lounge chair without being overly close to the edge of the pool. I surreptitiously drank my bottled water and munched on my cheez its breaking two of the rules.
Tragically, some older slimmer women still think their bodies look good in a bathing suit. There was a women there with a slim figure who obviously had on a junior size swimsuit that did not quite cover her buttocks because they were lean but a bit saggy if you know what I mean. Burn that image into your brain as you imagine this women thinking she is a hottie strutting her stuff around the pool. I buried my face in my book to escape the image. She had also painted her face with large red lips as if trying to look like Angelina Jolie. I think it made me feel a little sad. It's not nice to make fun of people.
The list of pool rules also declared that flotation devices were not permitted, however there seemed to be some type of exemption interpreted by the local women pool patrons who showed up with iridescent styrofoam "noodles". ( Children often utilize these as they attempt to gain confidence in their swimming ability.) The women put these noodles between their legs and rode them back and forth near the shallow end of the pool. I tried to stifle my hysteria by cranking up my Ipod but the scene was so surreal I just couldn't avert my eyes. There was something pseudo-sexual about their movements, they were certainly smiling or I just have a dirty mind!
I stretched out enjoying the sun's rays with my SPF 30 on gazing up at the clouds looking for formations and shapes as a diversion to what seemed like a bizarre vignette of older people gossiping and chatting in the pool and seemingly complaining about everything instead of just enjoying the sun and the pool.
It's difficult to envision the future but I hope my fate does not include signing up for the pool police at some gated community in Florida trying to convince myself I look good in a jr. size bathing suit while straddling an iridescent noodle.
Autumn Time In Quincy
6 years ago
4 comments:
I wonder too if we get to an age where we don't even care what anyone thinks. I do know that some of that has happened to me already and I'm nowhere near retirement. As for the lipstick, I don't plan on ever wearing any-lol.
*LOL* Oh Lord...I don't much care how saggy my butt is, but I DO take care not to offend other people with the sight of it *grin*
I love the image of the eldery, Angelina struttin' her hot stuff to the "Boys" at the pool.
Loved the image of these matrons in the pool. I have some years to go to get to that age, but I'd like to age gracefully. Mind you, I'm not graceful now, so there's not much hope of that.
Miles,Yes gravity can be insidious for us all as much as we hate to admit it things begin to shift. My war cry though is "think young"!
Neen, The image was something you had to really see but I tried to describe it the best I could.Let's hope we know to keep our bottoms covered.
Madame, I plan to be outrageous in my old age and "wear the color purple". Maybe I'll join the Red Hat Society too!
Post a Comment