Sunday, July 5, 2009

Color my world.

How prominent are colors a part of your cognitive perceptions? Colors are often used in our descriptions of various emotions, "red with rage", "feeling blue", "green with envy", "white as a sheet".There are also colors that portray certain political views, red states/blue states, environmentalists referred to as "the Greens". Are we straying into the grey area of ambiguity?

Orange cones in the roadway are a signal to slow down and drive cautiously.Road workers at construction sights tend to wear orange as a matter of safety. The color black can symbolize so many things. It used to be the color of mourning and now it tends to reflect high fashion.

Awhile back I looked at my wardrobe and viewed too many dark colors including navy blue, black, dark brown and grey. I wondered if perhaps people would take me more seriously in those particular colors. Now when I wear bright colors I am self conscious because I stand out too much. I do wear pink at times, it happens to be a good color on me as well as earth tones and beige.

My favorite color has always been blue. I tend to like light blue /sky blue. I don't know what that reflects about my personality. My kitchen and living room area are hues of blue. I find it calming and serene. What colors you choose to decorate with can reveal alot about someone. Neutral tones are a bit safe, maybe even a bit boring.

White gets too dirty easily. I sometimes will wear white and invariably cannot make it out the door without rubbing up against something and causing a smudge. I like my underwear white, although pastels are also allowed, just nothing that will show through a blouse or slacks.My mother always told me to wear nice underwear so if I was ever in an accident the rescuers and medical people would not be repulsed by holey underwear.

"They" say men have a more limited vocabulary when it comes to color description. My husband is color blind so he tends to see alot of grey and brown. I have to help him match his clothes in the morning or it would be a total disaster.

I wonder if people who wear alot of red have outgoing personalities or are just confident in themselves and being the focus of attention. When I occasionally wear red I almost feel apologetic because for someone like me who tends to be reserved it's a very out there feeling. I save my red garments for special occasions like Christmas and Valentines Day or 4th of July.I heard that cops tend to pull over more red cars because subliminally it reflects speed.

Be brave the next time you go to purchase something and pick something out in a color you wouldn't normally choose. Ask yourself if you tend to gravitate towards certain colors and what that might say about you.

3 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

I bought 2 button down long sleeve shirts this weekend, a lavendar and a bright yellow one. We shall see how I feel once I wear them a few times!

Madame DeFarge said...

I wear navy blue or various shades of blue. Daren't wear red, as it would clash with my hair. I'm very pale, so find bright colours overwhelm me. Black makes me look goth/emo, so blue, autumnal shades work best.

If I feel really cheerful, I tend to wear cream. And navy blue. I blame my mother, who always wore navy blue for her job as a teacher.

gaf85 said...

Miles, Hmm. I'll bet you'll look great in either one.

Madame, There is something very safe about wearing navy blue. I agree that unfortunately we probably do take after our mothers.