This is really just an observation I recently made.Why is it that there are pockets in pajamas? I have many pj bottoms that have pockets and I cannot figure out why. It's not that I need to carry around any money or change nor my cell phone or chap stick either. Last night my pj bottoms began to itch at me where the seams of the pockets were sewn. I realize my recent tan had begun to flake and itch but I began to question the necessity of pockets in the pj bottoms. I may consider cutting them off and perhaps sewing up the seam however that is way too much work for a simple pair (or many) of my pajama bottoms.
I guess I have outed myself as a wearer of night clothing. Yes, I am aware that many people choose to sleep " a la natural", however I have never been one of them except maybe a few times when I may have had hot flashes or if the weather was 90 degrees. In the winter time here in the North Country a warm pair of flannels is often a necessity. Also when you are raising young children there is a certain amount of modest covering up in case they wander into the bedroom in the middle of the night. I would not have wanted to traumatize my daughters with my naughty bits uncovered. They would be the ones to go to school the next day and announce to everyone that their mother sleeps naked.
I often also wear socks to bed because my feet feel cold. Not the ones that have been worn all day across the floors in the house because that would definitely be gross to get between the sheets with a pair of dirty socks on. Tell me if this is "t m i", for those of you not in the "know" that is too much information. It is difficult sometimes not to out yourself about your personal habits if you are going to share anything on your blog so in summary: I wear itchy pajamas, sometimes suffer from hotflashes, I have cold feet under the covers and I have repressed my children to avoid nudity!
Autumn Time In Quincy
6 years ago
6 comments:
This is a very good question indeed. I don't have the answer nor did I have the answer when GF asked me why I had pajamas in my pocket.
(Ok, I made that last part up)
Hello gaf85,
For more years than I can remember, I've detested putting things in my pockets. As a child, I never owned pajamas and as I matured I thought sleeping without was rather cool. I always sleep under the covers and my children were too polite to barge in on my wife and I.
My wife is just the opposite. She wears pajamas and socks. During some portion of the night, she will kick all the covers off and then bury herself underneath; it is a nightly ritual for her.
I wear those hospital pants when I'm lounging around the house (something I often do), a free T-shirt (from a software or hardware vendor) and sandals. Those pants don't have pockets, so one could actually wear them to bed.
I have no idea why pajamas have pockets. Perhaps someone thought that, one simply tired of reaching for the nightstand or getting up to retrieve aspirin or some other item when one cannot sleep.
U
I had to laugh when I read this, mostly about the dirty socks. I have a vivid memory of having a conversation with you upstairs in your original north country house about both of us feeling the need to wash our feet before we go to bed!
I hate wearing stuff to bed, as it makes me too hot, regardless of the weather. But then, I have no children and no-one to shock. Or no pockets for useful stuff either.
I love the pockets in my pj's. I think because modern pajamas double as 'lounge-wear' (and all too often, shopping attire - you should see my grocery store on Sunday mornings!), pockets are just considered the norm. Since I have chronic sinusitis in winter, keeping some Kleenex nearby is helpful, and when I take the dog outside, having pockets is a nice addition.
That is, when I'm not sleeping au naturel.
Post a Comment