Anthropologists have studied why certain tribes apply adornment and embellishment to their faces, but my consideration and consternation is far more personal and basic. Somewhere in my 20's I began to apply daily facial moisturizer in order to combat the anticipation of wrinkles due to sun exposure and the inherent dryness of the air. Rather than have my face look greasy or shiny I applied compact powder to match my skin tone. Now there have become other reasons why I apply "war paint". Apparently as we age our derma grows mottled with uneven skin tone and little tiny veins.... and yes, I am slightly a bit "vain".
My co-workers who see me day after day, I imagine, have grown accustomed to my usual appearance of a dash of lipstick and a bit of powder. If I were to begin wearing a touch of color upon my eyelids I think they would eventually notice and perhaps comment.... and no, of course I should not care what others think but I know some might say something because a change in appearance is sometimes met with curiosity. I do take some care in my appearance but not in such an obvious fashion where I cannot tear myself away from my glorious reflection in the mirror. It's important to look well groomed and presentable.
Some females who came of age during the existence of the 60's have a "bohemian" appearance, preferring to remain untouched by cosmetics or to get caught up in their appearance. That is not me. I pluck my eyebrows and begrudgingly depilate when necessary. I prefer a well coiffed hair style but did eventually decide to let it go grey naturally.
There used to be a time when I could throw off the bed covers, jump in the shower, give my hair a quick brush, get dressed and be on my way. That is no longer the case. I'm struggling somewhere between grooming and preening. It takes time now to look "fresh" since youth has taken a detour toward age. The effort that can take varies depending on how " natural " I choose to appear. There also seems to be a gradual acceptance of the aging process but I will not surrender easily. I do not( though) want to look like a scary " older" lady, ( age is relative), with too much makeup on that borders on a clown like mask of pathetic over attempts to recapture their youth. Too harsh?
Autumn Time In Quincy
6 years ago
3 comments:
I don't think it too harsh. I don't like to see women of any age wear too much makeup. Keep it real.
Yes Miles, the keeping it real part is definitely me.
I find that I pay more attention to my appearance now than when I was more youthful. Part of it has to do with working at a gym where people are looking at me, but I think as we age, if we don't want to go totally "natural" we require MUCH more maintenance! I can't get over some of the shows on TV (Real Housewives, in particular) that show the lengths that some of these women go to not to look as though they're aging. I think in another 20 years or so they'll look like Joan Rivers. Aging is a very strange process, don't you agree? Can't deny it, yet you still feel young inside (at least most of the time).
Post a Comment