Friday, January 22, 2010

idiosyncrasy

Personal quirks or annoying habits, call them what you will. I know some of mine but I would also be certain there are probably ones I am not even aware of. People close to me might be brave enough to identify this or that about me but they could also risk my unpredictable ire.

So here goes:
- I find myself repeatedly pushing my glasses up on the bridge of my nose. I can't tighten them anymore from slipping or the back of my ears will grow sore. Maybe I should grow a bigger nose.
- Sometimes when I get annoyed I will unconsciously pinch my ear lobe to release the pressure of possible angry feelings.
- When I am in a meeting with a group of people and I start to feel bored I will start to count the ceiling squares in the room.
- When I am a passenger on long car trips involving more than a half hour, I often start filing my nails. I guess it may just be a hands busy kind of activity.
- I scrunch up my nose and squint my eyes when I am really trying to concentrate on something.
- I do not always answer the telephone when it rings at home. It gives me a sense of power to choose to whom and when I will speak with someone. My mother did this too and I think I learned it from her.
- I doodle on my desk pad while I am talking on the phone at work. They appear to be mostly odd geometric shapes and elaborate curly q's or random lines of shading. Hmm, my own little Rorshach test.
- I hold on to most all of my sales recipes for at least a month, just in case (of what I don't really know).
- My co-workers have learned infinite patience about my obsession with needing to have at least two sharp pencils to write with. As a result I drive them crazy with the sound of the electric pencil sharpener several times a day. I try to wait until they have wandered away from the area however I think they hear me anyway.
- My husband has pointed out to me that I am a constant head " nodder" when I am listening or talking to people. I think it may be my way offering validation.
- I often sit on my hands. At first it may have been a way to warm my hands because they often seem to feel cold. Now I think I do it because it feels oddly comforting.

I came up with this list with out much time or effort which worries me that there are probably many others lurking about, but be reassured my vigilance will uncover them eventually!

5 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

You've got me thinking about mine now. I'd probably share some of yours, but will never dare ask M. DeFarge just in case he adds to them.

gaf85 said...

Madame, self revelation with humor is the only way to go!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. It's always nice to meet another 50-something!

I am so with you on not answering the phone! I think the person who invented caller ID should win some MAJOR award or a big pot of money.

I'm off to read more of your blog. I'll be back again soon.
jj

gaf85 said...

JJ,
I think there must be a collective sensibility with 50 somethings just like the Borg on Star Trek!

Michael said...

Oh, wow, how very appropriately inspiring for my own blog. I really am irritated by people who push their glasses up all the time, it's like... get contact lenses, for God's sake!

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."