What was once science fiction is now science fact with all the advances in technology that have supposedly improved the quality of life for humanity. Long ago people's mortality was decidedly short lived and now scientific developments in medicine prolong life significantly longer. That does not always translate into quality of life though. At some point our bodies just wear out. Ironically, that can also be said about machines.
There are so many inventions that are labor saving devices, too many really to list or mention. We tend to take some of this for granted until we lose electricity in a storm and have to bump around in the dimness of candle light just like the olden days.
Before the invention of the vacuum cleaner I guess we use to sweep up the debris. Dishwashers are prevalent in most houses. We use to call them "housewife" or kids taking turns. I often wonder what people did before there was television. I think they use to go to bed a heck of a lot earlier. Reading was considered recreation as was playing family games and listening to the radio in the parlor.
Washing machines are nearly a necessary utility in most middle class homes. Although in some third world countries they are much less prevalent, most likely related to the availability of electricity. We use to hang our clothes on the line to dry. I think in the winter clothes were draped over radiators or hung sometimes in the cellar. I don't doubt that clothes were not washed as often as they are now with a much different standard of hygiene. I still have certain delicate clothes and sweaters that I hand wash in the sink and then air dry so they do not shrink.
I would like to know though what happens to the lost socks. Where do they go? Somewhere there must be a black hole in space with a huge vortex of energy swirling around the center with all the lost socks in the universe and aliens have their secret joke on us humans because of the absurdity of possessing millions of mismatched socks. They may be waiting for an opportune moment to further confound humanity.
Autumn Time In Quincy
6 years ago
1 comment:
I buy my husband identical socks, thus removing the lost sock conundrum. A sock may be lost, but its identity lives on in its clones. And I can always make a pair somehow.
Post a Comment