Thursday, March 19, 2009

Week Daze

I'm not sure what day other people identify as the start of their week but for me it would be Monday. On Sunday evening there is a certain level of anticipation of the work week resuming. I often iron some of the clothes I might plan on wearing during the week and wistfully ponder how quickly the weekend has slipped away. I make a concerted effort to put myself to bed at a decent hour.
"Monday, Monday, can't trust that day". (The Mommas and the Poppas). It's an opportune time to set some short term goals to accomplish during the week. My energy has been renewed by the weekend's relaxation so my optimism and energy is reving in high gear.
"Ruby Tuesday". By the second day of the work week I'm pacing myself to keep up a certain level of momentum and productivity. Knowing I have the remainder of the week ahead of me I remind myself of the tortoise and the hare, "slow and easy wins the race".
Wednesday is "hump day". I always have to resist the sexual connotation of that phraseology. I would bet that if employers performed statistical analysis of the work day most often missed by people calling in "sick" it would probably be Wednesday.By the middle of the week I start to adopt a survival mode hoping to make it until the end of the week. Don't get me wrong I don't hate my job but to me work is work. I'd really rather be doing something that is fun or decidedly my own agenda.
Thursday. When I first wake up in the morning I hope it is actually Friday which would signify the end of the work week and looking forward to the weekend. I arise more deliberately and resignedly, get myself to work and get busy because I only have one more day left to make a dent in my paperwork and other loose ends from the rest of the week.
Good Friday. No problem bounding out of bed although for one short moment there is a stray thought that maybe it's actually Saturday and I can roll over and sleep awhile longer.Unfortunately on Friday I am sometimes a bit tired and I really just one to go home and veg.
Saturday. Errand day. I usually leave the house for a few hours and visit various stores and maybe take a walk in the afternoon or start some type of home project.
Sunday is a day of rest but performing household chores is a pressing need......after reading the Sunday paper. This is usually the day to talk with family on the phone. I enjoy cooking so I try to make something special for Sunday dinner although during the summer we usually just cook on the grill and eat out on the deck.
Weekends are all too short. I often wish it lasted for three days instead of two. In a perfect world I would sleep everyday until around 8:00 AM, have an unhurried breakfast and sail into the office around tenish. I wouldn't mind staying once in awhile past five at my own discretion depending what I had going on. I would definitely like to have Wednesday, mid week be a day off then just have Thursday and Friday and then the week would be over. I guess that's why they never made me the boss.

2 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

Hmmm, I wonder if your GAF score changes on any certain day as well-lol. I know mine does!

gaf85 said...

Miles, Your humor is ironic regarding my blog name of gaf85. Maybe I should rename myself gaf75 which at times is probably more accurate.