Sunday, March 1, 2009

What I'm Not

I am not a superficial person. Being genuine can be a challenge sometimes but I believe in standing up for what I believe in. If you can't look yourself in the mirror in the morning life has very little meaning.
I an not indecisive. If there is a problem find out the best way to problem solve it. It is better to make a decision and take the chance of being wrong than to make no decision at all.
I am not gregarious. I have to try really hard at times to shake off my tendency to be a bit of an introvert. Let's put it this way, I'm a good listener.
I am not without humor. Sometimes you have to be able to laugh at yourself. I acknowledge that my family considers me a serious person but I do try to come up with my own little twisted brand of humor.
I am not inarticulate. It is important to be able to verbalize your point of view in a succinct and comprehensible manner. In other words making sense so people no matter what their level of understanding have an idea of what you are talking about. I've been working on this because for awhile it seemed my manner of communication was meandering and tangential.
I am not an unkind person. Sometimes you have to try accepting people for who they are and to be less judgemental.As I have matured this seems to have been an area of personal growth with alot of room for improvement.
I am not a morning person.My family has lowered their expectations of my ability to function in the morning.They accept this after many years of confusion.
I am not nineteen anymore. Sometimes denial eventually has to yield to acceptance of the aging process. However, I can't seem to let go of the belief that if I knew then what I know now there are definitely a few things I would have done different. Living life without regret, can't rewrite history.
I am not an uneducated person. This has less to do with how many years of college attended and more about learning by the mistakes you make in life.
I am not a person who let's people off the hook. I believe we all need to take responsibility for our own actions.The world would be less a mess if people weren't always trying to blame other people.
I am not sure about the basis of my spiritual existence. I was raised as a Catholic and unfortunately became aware of the hypocrisy of the church and I am still wrestling with my own beliefs about religion.
I am not always an easy person to get along with. I struggle with the importance of being myself and placing less importance on what other people think of me. At times this has caused people to misunderstand me.

6 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

I think I find it harder to say what I am, rather than what I'm not. I'm not sure that the sum of what I'm not then adds up to the sum of what I am. I have embraced my 40s as the decade where I can make myself happy, but I'm not sure how to do this without being selfish to others.

I'm not often happy, but I am content with that means for my life.

gaf85 said...

Madame, Knowing what I am not helps me figure out what I am. I think it's just the reverse. Yes, being selfish sometimes has more to do with your own happiness and fulfillment rather than worrying about pleasing others.

Michael Horvath said...

But what I do like is that You are YOU.

gaf85 said...

Miles,Muchas gracias mi amigo!

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Over the years, I've tried to be comfortable with who I am. I have faults; I'm not perfect, I don't strive for it. But I try to be respectful of others, recognizing
my need to be respected.

I'm more reflective now about my life, but I'm not regretting decisions I've made. I made them based on the level of information available at the time.

I have much respect for the woman, wife, mother and daughter you are. I've found you to be honest and candid. We don't always see life through the same prism, but I have come to consider you my friend. I won't quibble over the concept of virtual.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my own feeble way is, "I appreciate you and what you share here".

underOvr

gaf85 said...

U, Your kind words are greatly appreciated. When I began blogging I don't think I knew what I was really doing but as this goes on I have found the importance of self expression.Thank you for all your encouragement.Your Humble Friend gaf